Dr. John C. Wallace, the first and for a number of years the only
resident physician in the county, settled at Erie about 1802, after a service
of some nine years as a Surgeon in the United States Army. He was Colonel of
the Erie regiment of militia during the war
with Great Britain, and
assisted in caring for the wounded in the hospital at Erie, after Perry's victory. He continued
in the practice of medicine nearly to the day of his death, which occurred on
the 8th of December, 1827. Dr. W. A. Wallace succeeded to a large share of
Dr. Plara Thayer located in Erie about 1811, and was joined in a short
time by his brother, Dr. Albert Thayer. They resided on Federal Hill and
their practice extended over a good part of the county. The latter was the
father and preceptor of the present Dr. Thayer, of South
Dr. Asa Coltrin settled
in Erie about
1815, and continued in practice there until his death in November 1824. The
next physician in Erie
was Dr. Peter Christie, who was a Surgeon in the United States Navy. He had
an extensive general practice when not engaged in his official duties.
The list of Erie
physicians was increased by the arrival of Dr. William Johns in 1822, and by
Drs. Taber and Elijah Beebe in 1825. All of these remained until their
Dr. Peter Faulkner located in South Erie in
1825, and soon entered upon an extensive practice. After a time he changed to
but returned to Erie
in 1848. His sons, Drs. William and Robert Faulkner, are both in practice in
Dr. Jacob Vosburg reached Erie
the same year as Dr. Faulkner, and Dr. Sanford Dickinson, who had practiced
in Wattsburg a short time, removed to Erie in 1840.
Outside of Erie,
the earliest physician of whom we can learn was Dr. James Smedley,
who located in North East at an early day. Dr. Ira Sherwin made his home in
Harbor Creek in 1825, and Dr. W. T. Bradley in Westleyville
about 1840. Dr. Rufus Hills practiced in Girard from an early date until 1830,
when he changed to Erie.
He was obliged to abandon the practice, and removed to Pittsburgh, where he died. Dr. M. C.
Kellogg practiced in connection with Dr. Vosburg at
1831, when he changed to Girard. He died in Albion,
to which place he had removed in 1855.
List of Registered Physicians
The law of Pennsylvania
provides that every person engaged in the regular practice of medicine or
surgery shall be a graduate of a legally chartered medical college or
university, and have his diploma registered in the Prothonotary's
office of the county where he resides. In case the diploma has been lost, a
certified copy of the same may be presented, or, if not obtainable, the party
may make affidavit to the fact, with the names of the professors whose lectures
he attended. Exception is made in the case of physicians who have been in
continuous practice within this commonwealth since 1871. These are allowed to
continue in practice, but must appear before the Prothonotary
and make affidavit to that effect. The punishment for failure to register, or
for presenting a fraudulent diploma, or making a false statement, of
practicing in violation of the act, is $100 for each offense, or imprisonment
in the county jail for a term not exceeding one year, at the option of the
court. Below is a list of the physicians who registered in the Prothonotary's office of this county between June, 1881,
and September 17, 1883, with the years when they graduated:
Charles Aichner, University of Basil, Switzerland,
P. Barkey, University
of Medicine and Surgery, Philadelphia, Penn.,
J. Q. H. Bassett, practiced a number of years. Diploma destroyed in Chicago fire.
Charles Brandes, practice since 1845.
Mr. E. S. Burnham, practice for twenty years.
Linnie Burnham, Electropathic
Institute of Binghampton, N. Y., 1879.
E. P. Banning, Sr., College of Medicine at Evansville, Inc.
Jeannette Caldwell, Homoeopathic College, New York City, 1876.
J. S. Carter, practice since 1840.
J. T. Clark, National Medical
D. C., 1870.
W. K. Cleveland, University of the City of New York, 1860; New York
Ophthalmic Hospital, 1860; Bellevue Hospital, 1862, and Homoeopathic Medical
Board of Canada, 1869.
Edward Cranch, University of Georgetown,
D. C., 1873.
J. C. M. Drake, Hahnemann
Michael C. Dunnigan, Bellevue Medical College, New York
Martin Ernst, attended lectures upon surgery by Prof. Buntz,
W. C. Evans, Western Reserve College, Cleveland,
Robert Faulkner, Homoeopathic Medical
College, New York
William Faulkner, Geneva Medical College,
Eugene B. Fletcher, Cleveland
John F. Flint, University of Michigan, Ann
A. A. Freeman, University
of Buffalo, 1876.
Charles A. French, Western Reserve College, Cleveland,
Henry F. Garey, Washington
University, Baltimore, 1876.
George A. Garries, Western
Reserve Medical College, Cleveland,
E. D. Gates, University
Medical Department, 1859.
E. W. Germer, Medical College of Vienna, also
certificate from Freiburg University.
Thomas H. Gray, University
of Michigan, 1871.
Amos S. Gregory, Union College of Medicine and Surgery, Philadelphia, Penn.,
Peter Hall, practice since 1844.
John M. Lewis, Bellevue Medical
College, New York
A. S. Lovett, Ann Arbor, Michigan,
University of Michigan.
Susanna Meyer, practice for fifteen years.
William Nick, practice since 1859.
H. C. Nick, practice since 1867.
A. Z. Randall, University of Michigan, Ann
David P. Robbins, University
Nelson Seymour, practice for thirty-five years.
James E. Silliman, Jefferson
Byron A. Smith, practice since 1866.
Mrs. Jane A. Smith, practice since 1865.
H. A. Spencer, Western Reserve College, Cleveland,
J. L. Stewart, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia,
Chester W. Stranahan, Jefferson Medical
College of Philadelphia, 1867.
D. H. Strickland, University
of Pennsylvania, 1863.
Jones J. Seward, Medical College of Ohio at
Alvin Thayer, practice since 1845.
Robert D. Tipple, Homoeopathic College
of Cleveland, 1878.
G. S. Tubbs, practice since 1870.
George Ulrich, German Medical
Richard H. Walker, Medical Department of Wooster
University of Cleveland, Ohio, 1879.
Mrs. A. B. Woods, Women's Medical College of Pennsylvania,
Arthur A. Woods, Miami Medical College, Cincinnati, 1876.
Mary A. B. Woods, Western Homoeopathic College, Cleveland, Ohio, 1864.
Anna Presley, Electropathic Institute of
Binghamton, N. Y., Aug. 7, 1882.
Almon S. Bonsteel,
Bellevue Hospital College, New York City, 1872.
S. R. Breed, continuous practice since 1856.
Reuben Brinker, Jefferson Medical College,
Charles Adams Bush, practice since 1871.
John B. Chace, American Medical College,
D. E. DeRoss, Eclectic College of Cincinnati, 1875.
G. A. Elston, Medical Department of University of
New York, 1880.
H. G. Fay, Medical Society of Steuben Co., N. Y., certificate dated 1875.
Daniel D. Franklin, Eclectic Institute of Cincinnati, 1850.
Flora Hayward Stanford, Boston University.
Emma L. Jordan, Eclectic Medical College, Philadelphia, 1879.
C. B. Kibler, University of Buffalo, 1870.
H. O. Mackres, University of Buffalo, 1867.
B. H. Phelps, Cleveland Medical College, 1871.
Manhattan Pickett, Medical College of Buffalo, 1869.
Joseph R. Phillips, Homoeopathic Hospital College at Cleveland.
D. C. Storer, practiced medicine and surgery since
Henry S. Tanner, Eclectic Medical College of Cincinnati, 1859.
J. E. Weeks, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor.
P. P. Fisher, College of Physicians and Surgeons, Baltimore, 1881.
D. R. Waggoner, Medical College of Ohio, 1872.
John W. Jarvis, Middleboro, University at Ann Arbor, Mich., 1869.
D. T. Bennett, Eclectic Medical Association of Pennsylvania, at Franklin,
Samuel F. Chapin, Yale Medical College, 1859.
G. Thickstun, Bellevue Hospital Medical College,
New York City, 1864.
William C. Tracy, Harvard Medical College, Boston, Mass., March 7, 1866.
M. D. Satterlee, University of New York City, 1879.
M. A. Millard, University of Buffalo, 1873.
A. G. Ely, Geneva Medical College, Geneva, N. Y., 1840.
T. J. Kellogg, practice since 1836.
A. R. Smith, Eclectic Medical Institute of Cincinnati, 1853.
I. N. Taylor, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, 1866.
Helen M. Weeks, Homoeopathic College, Cleveland, Ohio.
O. L. Abbey, University of Buffalo, 1863.
Stephen R. Davis, practice since 1872.
Mrs. S. R. Davis, practice since 1872.
Curtis N. Goucher, Medical Department of the
Western Reserve College of Hudson, Ohio, 1870.
James F. Read, practice since 1838.
L. D. Rockwell, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, 1874.
Alfred C. Sherwood, University of Pennsylvania, 1873.
Ernest B. Smith, Cleveland Homoeopathic Hospital College, 1882.
John K. Griffin, University of Buffalo, 1865.
L. G. Hall, Medical University of Buffalo, 1850.
A. B. Heard, Detroit Medical College, 1872.
D. D. Loop, University of Buffalo, 1865.
Burton H. Putnam, University of Buffalo.
A. J. Sears, University of Wooster, Cleveland, 1878.
George B. Stillman, College of Physicians and
Surgeons, Baltimore, 1880.
Mullin A. Wilson, New York Homoeopathic Medical College, New York City.
P. D. Flower, Philadelphia University of Medicine and Surgery, 1869.
O. Logan, practice for twenty-five years, Medical University of Buffalo,
James S. Skeels, Western Reserve Medical College,
at Hudson, Ohio, 1848.
T. W. Burton, Buffalo Medical College, 1862.
John W. Bowman, Cleveland Medical College, 1859.
Frank L. Clemens, Jefferson Medical College, Philadelphia, 1881.
George Ellis, East Springfield, Hudson Medical College of Cleveland, Ohio,
Charles N. Moore, East Springfield, Hygia
Therapeutic College, N. Y., 1864.
Lamarr V. Knapp, West Springfield, Buffalo Medical
Joseph R. Hewett, Springfield Township, practice
John Ross, West Springfield, practice since 1860.
O. O. Blakeslee, West Springfield, College of Physicians and Surgeons of
Ranson C. Sloan, East Springfield, Buffalo Medical
George M. Cole, Eclectic College of Cincinnati, 1881.
Willard Greenfield, practice for twenty-eight years.
Truman Hawkins, Medical Department of Western Reserve University, 1850.
S. B. Hotchkiss, Bellevue Hospital Medical College, New York City, 1871.
Henry R. Terry, Jefferson Medical College Philadelphia, 1863.
Joseph C. Wilson, Starling Medical College, Columbus, Ohio, 1851.
Frank G. Greenfield, Miami Medical College, Cincinnati, Ohio, March 1882.
William P. Biles, Eclectic Medical Institute of
John H. Kirk, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, 1875.
G. W. Wilson, practice since 1860.
John J. Sharp, University of the City of New York, March 3, 1883.
H. R. Hayes, Amity Township, practice since 1861.
J. L. Bennett, East Greene, practice for twenty one years.
John Wright, Franklin Township, Homoeopathic Hospital College, Cleveland,
Barker A. Skinner, Elgin, University of Wooster, 1878.
George Wright, Lockport, Homoeopathic Hospital College, Cleveland, 1871.
W. V. Blakeslee, Concord Township, practice since 1846.
M. B. Cook, Harbor Creek, Cleveland Medical College, 1877.
James G. Leffingwell, Miles Grove, Michigan
University, Ann Arbor, 1873.
M. M. Moore, Wesleyville, practice since 1852.
Martin V. B. Johnson, Wellsburg, University of Medicine and Surgery,
Charles G. Miller, Harbor Creek, practice "since before 1871."
The first Erie County Medical Society was organized in 1829, with the
following officers: President, William Johns; Vice President, A. Thayer;
Secretary, F. W. Miller; Treasurer, A. Beebe; Censors, J. Smedley,
Jacob Vosburg, A. N. Molton.
The present Medical Society of Erie County was established in 1841, and has
the same organization as the old society. Its regular meetings are held on
the third Tuesdays of January, April, July and October.
The earliest dentist of whom we can learn was a traveling man who stopped in
Erie for a short time in 1826. He made a set of false teeth for the wife of
Rev. Dr. Whallon, who was the first woman in the
county to enjoy that sort of a luxury. A dentist by the name of O. N. Sage
practiced in Erie several years. The first permanent dentist was Dr. O. N.
Elliott, who settled in Erie about 1840. The next was Dr. W. E. Magill. Both of these gentlemen are still in practice in
The dentists of the county who have registered under the Act of the General
Assembly, passed April 17, 1876, and amended May 17, 1883, are given in the
F. H. Abell, practiced in Erie (except for eight
months in 1878) for the past sixteen years.
Henry B. Blair, Corry, practiced twenty-six years.
F. H. Lawrence, Union City, practiced nine years.
W. E. Magill, Erie, practiced twenty years.
J. H. Devore, diploma of the Philadelphia Dental College.
Andrew McPherson, Erie, practiced eight years.
T. J. Elliott, Erie, practiced eight years.
L. Essick, Erie practiced twenty years.
George B. McDonald, diploma from the Philadelphia Dental College.
G. F. McDonald, Girard, practiced nine years.
O. L. Elliott, Erie, practiced thirty-six years.
Perry A. Gibson, diploma from the State University of Iowa.
V. D. Gibson, Edinboro, practiced twelve years.
J. H. Gifford, East Springfield, practiced ten years.
Lamer Battles, diploma from the University of Pennsylvania.
G. J. Mead, Erie, practiced fifteen years.
E. R. Allen, Girard, practiced nineteen years.
J. H. Nelson, North East, practiced fourteen years.
M. C. Burgess, Erie, practiced eleven years.
C. H. Harvey, Erie, practiced fifteen years.
S. R. Bryant, Waterford, practiced fifteen years.
Frank C. Callaghan, diploma from the Indiana Dental College.
T. D. Ingersoll, Erie, practiced ten years.
Edward E. Gifford, Corry, practiced nineteen years.